Monday 9 April 2007

Deep Freeze

Below the bowing shelves
That threaten to crack and drop
Their secret load like relief planes,
I stand as tall as a man,
My back pressed against the wall.

Hardly noticed,
I am one of many other appliances
Along the perimeter of your life.
A modern convenience.

I am the Antarctic, contained.
A place so seldom visited
That the sausages have evolved into seals
And I have birthed a platoon of penguins between
The ice cubes, paired and stacked.

Softly humming,
I await the time -
Soon now!
When I must release
My charges from my embrace.

And far behind the bags of steaming peas,
In areas as yet unexplored
By heated hands,
I hold a secret -
A woolly Mammoth stands encased,
Trunk upraised in expectation
Of the day I thaw.


© GB 2007

3 comments:

David Hodges said...

I love a moment in a poem when the metaphor metaphors itself, when a man stands as tall as a man, for instance. Always interesting, every visit!

trish said...

That rocked! Really. I enjoyed your pattern and punch.

Rob Kistner said...

God - you've been in my kitchen!

Excellent painting of the common place as foreign and alien.

You do nice work.

--and so it goes--
...Rob