Thursday 17 May 2007

Comic Moment #1

I remember this scene from a film,
Black and white.
Was it Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel and Hardy?
I don't think it was Laurel and Hardy.
The familiarity is nagging.
And here it is,
Replayed,
In full colour,
In 3-D,
As the man in the short coat
Wheels his arms
And falls backwards,
Pivoting on his left heel
Like the needle on a speedometer
Picking up pace,
Reaching the tipping point
And surrendering to
Gravity.
His hands splay,
Bracing him for impact
And the crowd catches its breath
Each one bracing themselves
For the inevitable,
Now slow-motion
Collapse.
His feet are now airborne
And for a moment
He is suspended
Parallel to the ground,
A magician's trick,
That goes wrong
As he thuds against
Concrete.
His wide eyes,
And creased brow,
Slowly give way
To the tug of a smile
And the crowd chuckles
To see the banana peel
Stuck to his shoe.


© GB 2007

10 comments:

Regina said...

Oh, the good ole' banana peel gag- works everytime!
I really liked this!

Rob Kistner said...

Gino -

It was wonderful to be taken back to the silent films. :)

Their humor was, for the most part, very innocent -- and the physical comedy of that era was really quite something to behold.

Red Skelton, Dick Van Dyke, Steve Martin, Gilda Radner, Robin Williams, Jim Carey -- these were some of the physical comedy 021847"bridges" from that era into the modern era.

January said...

I really like how you break down the moment, and even though I knew what was coming, the end was a nice surprise.

And I love the line "the tug of a smile."

Nice!

Jessica said...

This is fantastic -- I love the slo-mo effect and the balance of humorous and poetic language.

gautami tripathy said...

I enjoy watching those silent B&W movies.

"He is suspended
Parallel to the ground.."

Liked this line. It was ood to read your poem.

chicklegirl said...

"His hands splay,
Bracing him for impact
And the crowd catches its breath
Each one bracing themselves
For the inevitable"

This was so good; I felt like I was watching it myself, and my own body was bracing itself. Very nice!

Levari said...

I really enjoyed this...

Best,
Levari

Anonymous said...

A very effective presentation of the physics of the comedy process. Interesting to read it in the form of a poem. There's a touch of the Bertold Brecht about this.

tallarin cervecero said...

Its a Fantastic poema that you writed.

Meghna said...

Awesome!
I loved this poem.